Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Mandarin I course draws to a close

Only a few more weeks of Mandarin I Chinese classes remaining. I'll be thinking about taking the "Chinese for Travelers" course during the summer semester if it's offered; I'm not sure I could handle Mandarin II over the summer.

Did you know it's estimated only a little over half of China's population can speak Mandarin, the national language? The percentage is higher --70%-- if estimating for Chinese people between the ages of 15 to 29 years of age. (Washington Post, March 7, 2007)

What are the chances I'll be able to communicate with Chinese people while we are there (next year?)? Perhaps slim. But I hope at least a hearty "Thank you", a considerate "How are you?", and a firm "That price is too expensive!" will get me somewhere.

No comments: