Sunday, March 8, 2009

Daisy, foster dog #3: An enigma

Honestly, I was just going to buy Maxine more dog food yesterday, and I ended up bringing home another dog to foster. Daisy is a six year old hound mix... what kind of hound, I don't know... maybe a sight hound breed. She doesn't respond to any commands -in English or in Spanish- and has been very slow to learn any on day one. Yet she walks pretty good on a leash, sometimes quite slow. I haven't heard a peep out of her except for sometimes when she yawns. She's been exposed to a tick-borne disease or two and treated for them. Hmmmm. Hey, at least she's housetrained.

Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

she is really a cutie! If I didn't already have a (jealous) dog (baby) I would snatch her up! Really. But, what the heck am I thinking?!??!!?? Anyways, have you tried German? or maybe sign language? How about Arabic? Here are a few words- qeff! (stop), laa (no), oreed ghorfah be-Hammam (I'd like a room with a bathroom), la ataklam al Arabeya (I can't speak Arabic) If you get a response with any of these words, let me know mashy, mashy (okie dokie)?

Anonymous said...

Did you think to try Chinese? Heck, even I respond well to the words "Lo Mein"!

Carol and Chris said...

I did try Chinese because she was paying attention to Chinese singing in a movie I was watching. But alas, I think it was only the pitch that attracted her attention.

Jolene said look at it as preparation for our China adoption in that she needs time to adjust!

Anonymous said...

Carol, she looks just like a dog we had a few years ago. She was an American Walker, they are used in northern states for tracking deer. We found ours wondering the neighborhood, most likely an old hunting dog someone just turned loose one day... sad. She is Beautiful!
Jamie
Ches. VA