Monday, March 31, 2008

Pricks and Pokes

Ah, the life of a sailor on his way out to sea... er, land-locked Afghanistan.

Chris started his pre-deployment medical screening last Friday. On the roll call were shots for hepatitis B, rabies, flu, and anthrax. He got a series of three pills for typhoid fever. He also got tested for TB and HIV. Today he got his tetanus shot. More blood work tomorrow. And malaria preventives will start a few days before he deploys.

Did I tell you about how he used to tease me that I had the smallpox scar and (younger) he did not? That is, until his last deployment in 2003 when he got the vaccination. He even sent me a picture of his scab! BTW, the scab didn't look much different than the pictures of chili mac served on the ship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder which one tasted better?