Thursday, August 7, 2008

Farewell Good Girl Sammy

Many of you knew that Sammy, one of our mangy curs, had been very sick off and on for the past two weeks. The vet, who was absolutely wonderful to both Sammy and me, believes it was a tumor that was causing her to be anemic and that today the bleeding took another turn for the worse. I stayed with Sammy through the euthanasia, comforting her and her comforting me.

The meds she was on gave me an extra wonderful week with her; I got to see her play with her toys once more and she even went down the stairs last weekend to say Hi to Chris via Skype.

She was 11 years old and had a wonderful and silly life with us. She would sniff Chris and then sneeze on him. She would growl ferociously (but never mean it) when you tried to take away her toy. She hogged our king size bed and snored worse than Chris. She would roll around in the grass with her squeaky ball in her mouth. So very many very good memories.

9 comments:

smuggie said...

RIP Sammy.

You're the dog who was so happy to see me, you peed on my foot.

I'm glad you got to see a little more of the spunky Sammy again.

Anonymous said...

Aw, Carol, I'm so sorry. Dogs are amazing furry miracles and we're so lucky they let us into their lives. The last thing Sammy knew in the world is that you love her. Very brave.

xxoo
Kelly

Anonymous said...

My heart aches for you. I was lucky to see Sammy this past weekend, full of energy and mischief as she worked the stuffed snake thing in your living room. And her steady, thumping tail when I said her name... what a sweet girl. Kisses and hugs, my friend. cmr.

Anonymous said...

Carol, I'm so sorry for you - I know that whatever you may have said about Sammy, she was still family. I wish I could be with you now and give you a bear hug! I imagine Samantha is barking right now at every angel who flits by. I am glad I got to see her in what appeared to be good spirits, and wish for you I could say something to make it easier, but.....
I love you,

Anonymous said...

Carol, I'm so sorry to hear about Sammy dog. I know from experience that it's not easy to make 'that' decision but it is a sign of true humanity when someone is willing to make the hard choice that is best in the long run. Sammy was one goofy dog and I know that she was loved so much. I'm sorry, my dear friend - I hope that you find comfort in all the great memories you have of her!

Vallary and Jay said...

Chris, Carol, I am very sorry to hear about your dog. I know animals are like part of the family. I want to tell you we went to the beach yesterday with your mom.. It was so funny She has discovered MP3 player. I let her listen to mine and all I heard was "I have to get one of these". And also singing to the top of her lungs, and dancing in the chair. You can just picture this. I thought you would like a laugh. Please take care.

Vallary and Jay said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

We are very sorry to hear about Sammy. We know it is a difficult time. Sammy was a wonderful dog and you will always have wonderful memories of her and with her. You gave her a great home and she knew that she was loved very much! Chris and I will always remember the story of the "rope"! :)
Love,
Jill, Chris, and Nathan

doggrrrel said...

Oh! My condolences. Rest in Peace Sammy; may you have All the Toys You Ever Wanted now.

I'm sorry the condolences are so belated - I haven't checked in on y'all for a while. :-( Sammy was lucky to have such loving people.

Lucas sends a howl of sympathy as well. And says that if Maxine ever needs some dog company to help cheer her up, he'd love to oblige.

-Amanda