Sunday, July 13, 2008

BACK FROM TRAINING

Just back from training a few hours ago. It was much more intense than expected. The second day specifically; we woke at 0400 and didn't return to our tent until 730pm and had an hour long meeting after that. We had the opportunity to shoot our weapons one last time. I have never been a gun person, but I have to admit it's been kind of fun. Then convoy training. I was assigned as the gunner; the guy that sticks out of the top of the Humvee and provides security. The first day we were out in the sun for over 6 hours; it was brutal. The last day it was only about 3 1/2 hours and we started early morning before it got too hot.

I have to say that we learned more in 2 1/2 days in the desert than we did in 2 1/2 weeks in SC. Not to say that the training at Fort Jackson/Camp McCrady wasn't valuable, but there's only so much you teach in the pine trees of SC when you're headed to the desert.

I did get some pretty cool pictures and I will post them when I get to my final destination, which should be pretty soon. There is one photo where the convoy was delayed and it wasn't by a bad guy, but a CAMEL. He actually tried to eat the headlight of the Humvee I was in. That was at the end of the long day and it was a much needed laugh for everyone. This will probably be my last post for a few days; I've got some traveling to do in the near future. Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm doing well and thinking of you all. Take care, Chris.


PS
It's still hot. I went to the gym the day before we left for training and it's always freezing cold in the gym. It was this day as well. I walked over to the thermostat and it was set on 84 degrees. I can't believe 84 degrees is cold to me. Carol's going to want the house cooler than I will want it when I get back.

2 comments:

Vallary and Jay said...

Hi Son ! it is Vallary and Jay we are so proud of you and Carol. You both are in our thoughts and prayers always, We are doing well. Trey isn't wanting school to start, Brit has graduate and now is looking for a JOB YAHOO!. Jay is Jay (a.k.a AJ). I am in my third week of recovery from back surgery. Doing well. Please take care and we love you both.

Anonymous said...

Chris, I'm learning a lot from your posts and really appreciate your writing them. Your detailed accounts bring all of this to life for your friends and family.It's good to hear from you, and E and I continue to send you our best wishes. cmr.