Wednesday, July 30, 2008

THANK YOUS AND GOODBYES

DH here. Sorry it's been so long since my last post. It takes a while to get adjusted. Well, let's start with the goodbyes. Most of you know that my last job in the Navy wasn't very military like at all. I was in an office with all officers and I was the only enlisted. Don't get me wrong, the guys I worked with were great, but there will always be that separation between Os and Es. But, when I arrived at Fort Jackson for training and we were all thrown into the barracks together; I was one of the boys again. I missed all the joking around and just talking about anything you can imagine (some things I can't repeat here). Through all the early mornings and MREs, I never had a bad day, because someone was always there to make me laugh. Living with 30 guys in one room, you're going to make a few friends. But, the training only lasted a few weeks and we were off to Kuwait. Most of us stayed in Kuwait for an additional week of training, but a few left the next day for their IA duty stations and we had to say goodbye. You wouldn't think that people you have only known for a few weeks would make that much of an impression, but I could see it when those of us staying behind, all dead tired from all of the travel, either stayed up or got out of bed at midnight to say goodbye and stay safe. While in Kuwait we had some time on our hands and I spent most of mine with Louis "Sal" Salazar and Dave Bene. We were kind of thrown together, because Sal and I were the only cool kids in our tent and Dave, just a couple of tents down, was the only cool kid in his. A few people were actually calling us the three amigos. Just like before, training ended and we were headed to Bagram, Afghanistan. Dave and Sal stayed in Bagram and I traveled on to Kabul. We said our goodbyes very briefly and we now keep in contact via e-mail. Unlike my earlier years in the Navy, I think we'll stay in touch. E-mail makes it much easier. A photo of the three amigos is below.

Now there are several people that I would like to thank that have been very helpful since this this deployment began. Mike & Missy Marshall (Mike was actually in Iraq at the time) who hosted me the week I was in Norfolk and let me borrow a car since the Navy was too cheap to pay for a rental. Randy & Margaret Lacher who let me lounge in their pool on the ridiculously hot days in Norfolk. The George/Snead Clan down in SC. Danny, Sumie and the kids were great hosts to me during my few off duty hours while I was at Fort Jackson. I think I would like to spend every July 4th down there. Mom for sending the cards that brighten my day each time I receive them; I got one today. Carol and Mike for sending my favorite trail mix and pistachios, you wouldn't believe the amount of people that asked, "Is that the mountain trail mix from Sam's?" Dad and Joyce for e-mailing the photos of Grand mama's Birthday Party and Daniel's Wedding that I missed. Mom and Dad George for dog sitting when Carol came down to SC to visit me before I left. All of our neighbors, Rebbecca, Sharon, and the Lordos Family that have graciously agreed to dog sit for Carol's vacation to the Outer Banks. And Miss London Lordos for keeping Carol company and helping her walk Max while I'm away. The poor military car/motorcycle salesman, Phil, that has had to deal with a million questions from me concerning the Harley Davidson I have now put down a deposit on. Then there's my beautiful wife. How can I can thank her for everything that she is to me? She's simply the best. I miss her terribly, but it's my thoughts of her that get me through each day. I could never make it without her. Carol, Thank you.
Chris

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,

You've left me speechless! Not many people take the time to stop and say thank you, even for the smallest gestures of kindness. I hope you know that we would do anything for you and Carol, ANY TIME! And the words you wrote about your loving wife were so incredibly sweet - you made me cry!

It's my turn to say thank you to you: for being our friend all these years, for the 'ball and chain' you had made for Randy (I loved that thing!), for being so good to my Dr. Carol Elizabeth George Ezzelle, Navy Wife, Ph.D, and for serving our country and protecting us all.

Stay safe and know that you're in our thoughts and prayers! Love ya!

Vallary and Jay said...

Chris, it was great to see a update, I am glad you are doing ok. Jay and I check it everyday. Can't wait to see the Harley!

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,
Glad you're settling in ok...and that last blog was amazing...you are so very welcome & like Marge said it was very sweet of you to remember everyone & we too thank you for what you are doing for all of us back here...so how often do we need to send the TRAIL MIX...2 bags once a month ?? will that do it ?? let us know...we're there for ya !!
Love,
Carol & Mike